Yesterday I received an email from someone called Natalia from Russia who appears to have “young” and “two antenna”. I decided not to reply, nor to open the email.*

And then at night, I dreamt that I brought home three puppies, and they pissed all over my bed while I was asleep. I have no idea what this dream means, although it might explain why I made so many trips to the bathroom today. And tonight, I received an email that asked me if “Your wife prefers your dog’s penis to yours?”* It was quite depressing.

[ * In case this gives the impression that I habitually write about emails I receive, let me note that both of these were spam mails. ]

In other – more pleasant – news, the Goethe Institute (at least here in Pune) is holding a film festival that’s (a) free, (b) interesting, (c) sub-titled, and (d) free. If you’re interested, then your local branch of the Goethe Institute would be your best bet for information.

What with the films, and other things such as education, I have been keeping busy, and the little bugger’s leading me on a mightily pretty dance. And therefore, no post for so long. But you didn’t ask, did you?

But we are here now, and we have a meme come unto us from one of our favourite deities.

1. One book that changed your life?

The Naked Ape by Desmond Morris. It alerted me to the fact that there are people in the world better than me. It was an unthinkable idea before I read this.

2. One book you have read more than once?

Quite a few, actually. One that I keep dipping into all the time is Kingsley Amis’s The King’s English.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

Michael Moorcock’s The Dancers at the End of Time (although probably only the first two books of the trilogy) – if I am going to be all alone and without resources, I think the End of Time is the world I’d most like to take there with me. Or perhaps The Faerie Queene – something to help me sleep.

4. One book that made you cry?

None that I can remember.

5. One book that made you laugh?

Not one. Gerald Durrell, Douglas Adams (particularly the third Hitchhiker book and the third Dirk Gently book, which had Adams dying in the middle of it), Terry Pratchett’s Discworld books, Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next books. Most recently, Good Omens (which I finally finished on Aishwarya’s advice).

6. One book you wish had been written?

One of the several books and graphic stories currently residing in my brain. Any one would do. Alternatively, someone should finally get down to it and write Quantum Mechanics for the Mentally Challenged. That would be interesting, would it not?

7. One book you wish had never been written?

I don’t think I’d ever want anything like that (I hope not). But if I had to choose one on pain of Three’s Company reruns, I’d second whoever on the net it was that chose the Malleus Maleficarum.

8. One book you are currently reading?

The Gospel of Judas by Simon Mawer. Very interestingly written. I picked this up because of the recommendations, and because I’d seen a Discovery channel documentary on the real-life Gospel of Judas.

9. One book you have been meaning to read?

This ranges from none at more forgetful moments to hundreds when I start thinking about it. As of now, it would probably be the second and third books in the Gormenghast trilogy, Michael Moorcock’s Jerry Cornelius stuff, and Hugh Laurie’s novel The Gun Seller. If asked to choose on pain of large daggers being thrust into my groin/eyeballs, I’d choose the Laurie book, because I guess I could do with a laugh in such a situation. I am also planning to read Samit Basu’s third Obiyalis book as soon as it is released.

10. Tag five people.

Shan’t.

Current music: Bob Dylan – Modern Times (This album rules expletively. Get it now.)